Friday, March 2, 2007

Sad little things that make us human...

I found this movie while browsing a time management site I hit every once in a while when I come to the realization that I really need to get more organized. This feeling usually comes to me when I run up against some deadline or another for something that I should have been working on but for some reason avoided. This has been a pattern throughout my life. In college, I could get away with it by pulling an all-nighter the night before my deadline and somehow pull it all together just in time. I was young then, and going all night without sleep didn't seem to affect me as much as it does now. I'd delude myself with the excuse "I work best to a deadline," but I wasn't really working to a deadline. That implies that I'd actually done more than just thought about the fact that I needed to do something.

Anyway, the movie is hilarious and sad all at the same time. Sad, because I have to admit that I am a champion procrastinator. I've been working at it for a VERY long time, I'd say since I was 10. The things zeFrank talks about in the video strike very close to home. I mean, I feel the time crunch because I'm up against a deadline, so I go browse a time management blog? Huh? I've found myself looking at mono spaced fonts for use in my text editors... Oh, an text editors? How many does one really need?!? I have at least 10 installed on my computers (not including notepad and word pad which come pre-installed on windows machines). I've even procrastinated going to bed, you can ask my wife. No, I don't mean that I stayed up way too late (though I do that too). I mean I'm completely exhausted. Ready for bed. All I have to do is get up off the couch, go brush my teeth, and crawl into bed. And I think "I'll just 'rest' my eyes for a few minutes." Then I wake up at 3:30 am, freezing because I don't have a blanket covering me. That's what I mean by procrastinating going to bed. Pretty sad.

OK, so why do I mention this? Well, I'm tired. I'm tired of feeling like I have to scramble every time some deadline rolls around. I'm keeping up, but I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails, and I'm not enjoying it. A year ago, I had Lori pick me up a book called Getting Things Done with the intention of applying it's process for keeping on top of tasks. I haven't used it. I keep putting it off because of the setup time that it will take. Well, no more. I hate posting somewhere and saying "I'm gonna do this." But if I don't, then I don't progress, there's no accountability (not that there's much on my personal blog site that is read infrequently by only one person that I know of). So, I am going to implement the "GTD" method. I also purchased a book off Amazon.com earlier this week about procrastination, called The Now Habit. I'll probably be talking quite a bit about both of these in my blog over the next few weeks (just a warning). Anyway, enjoy the movie. All seriousness aside, it is pretty funny.

NOTE: I had a movie embedded in this post, but apparently, shortly after I put the post up, the link broke. So, here's the wiki page on ZeFrank's page with the transcript of the video and a link to the video.

No comments: